Why I blog...

I use this blog as a kind of therapy. Sometimes I'm happy and want to share it, sometimes it's just a random thought and sometimes it's to deal with things in my past. After all a burden shared is a burden halved

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Art....Topic for day 7: Inspired by art (or an artwork or an artist) @Writersbootcmp

Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh

Art, Artist, Artistic, Art form, Artwork, Arty.....what is it? Is it a painting by a famous artist? A sketch so real it looks like a photograph or a stick figure drawing of you that your son brought home from preschool? The one you proudly display on your fridge even though you only have one eye and three fingers. Is it a song that makes you want to get up and dance or a ballad that makes you cry as you feel the songwriters heartache in every lyric. Is it a movie? you know the kind they show at cinema nouveau, usually long and drawn out with lots of sex in it. Is it a sculpture so anatomically correct that it looks like they dipped a body in clay? Can you eat it? I'm sure there are world renowned chefs who will tell you that the little offering on your dinner plate is their masterpiece. A book so engrossing that it reaches the number 1 bestseller list and the author now has a movie deal?

I have no idea what art is, I certainly won't be applying for a job as an art critic in my lifetime. You see I like symmetry and things to be neat and tidy, that's just the way I am. If you tell me that abstract art is truly something to behold, I would disagree and yet there is Picasso. Boy bands formed in a music producers studio are not artists in my opinion. They have their songs written for them. A manager tells them how to act and look. A wardrobe assistant tells them how to dress and a choreographer tells them how to dance. So who, then is the true artist here? And yet millions of screaming teenage fans (and some of their moms) would disagree with me.

I surely can't tell you what art is but I can tell you what it's not. It's not something mass produced cheaply and regurgitated year after year. It is unique to the artist, a sound, look or feel that is distinctly theirs.

What is art? It is anything that has the ability to evoke emotion.

The most beautiful piece of music ever composed.....


No comments:

Post a Comment