Why I blog...

I use this blog as a kind of therapy. Sometimes I'm happy and want to share it, sometimes it's just a random thought and sometimes it's to deal with things in my past. After all a burden shared is a burden halved

Friday, February 26, 2010

I love my job! really


Yes I know this is quite shocking that in this day and age where people spend a lot of time griping about work and bitching about their boss. I in turn love my job and my boss is great!!! I teach 4-6year old's and it's the most rewarding experience in the world. They are at such an impressionable age, not too young to grasp basic concepts and produce good work but not quite old enough to give me a really hard time ( they haven't learnt the disrespect and 'cheek' of a teenager yet) I am the master of my own little universe that is my classroom. I plan the lessons and it can be as much fun as I allow. Of course like any job there are downsides, the pay for one is well.....crap. no one goes into teaching (at least not in South Africa) to become rich, you do it because it's a calling and you just really love working with children. I read a bumper sticker once that said " Teaching is a work of the heart" that phrase encompasses exactly what it is to be a teacher. for me the greatest reward is to compare what each child is capable of at the start of the year to what he/she has accomplished throughout the year and by the end of it. Knowing that I played an instrumental role in that progress gives me a sense of achievement and great satisfaction. It is particularly rewarding when you have a child with learning difficulties and you watch them struggle to grasp even basic concepts only to persevere and see the elation on their face when they finally do get it. No amount of money in the world can make up for that feeling.
I can't imagine being in a job I hate. Having to go to a place called work and do something I abhor for 8-9 hours at a time only to come back and do the same the next day. That would be soul destroying and unbearable, I think I would end up a very miserable person. Lucky for me I LOVE MY JOB and I look forward to going to school/work every day I'm sorry if that annoys you but it's true.

2 comments:

  1. That's how it's supposed to be! You find something that you love doing, and you do it, and therefore it is rewarding. Not only that, but you become great at it, which you are.
    I managed a bookshop for years, because I love books. It was great to be able to go to work feeling like you are at home with your choice to do it.
    Money?
    Not so great.
    Unfortunately we have bills to pay, and it seems like a bit of injustice when you go to work at something you love and are good at, and then can't afford to pay normal/non-extravagant bills. But I'd still rather have that feeling of happiness on Monday morning, than hate my job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so refreshing to hear that someone loves their job. Money is just pure evil but such a necessity I suppose. Really wish South Africa paise their teachers their real worth.

    ReplyDelete