Why I blog...

I use this blog as a kind of therapy. Sometimes I'm happy and want to share it, sometimes it's just a random thought and sometimes it's to deal with things in my past. After all a burden shared is a burden halved

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Parenting and bumps

Did you ever make that statement, "when I grow up I'm going to be the coolest parent in the world. I'm not going to be so strict with my children " etc etc. Well flash forward 15 years and I find my mother's words coming out of my mouth. How did that happen? I had a plan, a well thought out and carefully constructed plan to avoid old sayings and cliche's. Yet there it is again, parent sayings like: "as long as you live under my roof"........ or" when I was your age"........ and my personal (un)favorite: "Just because I said so!" My beautiful daughters->

While society is evolving all the time, so must we, but there are however a few things that will never change. Parents will always try their best to be in control of their children and children will in turn always push boundaries as far as possible. Teenagers and parents will always clash on issues and just when you have decided you have had enough, you find out you are pregnant and are elated to go through it all over again.

Life as it turns out never runs according to your plan. No matter how hard you try there is always that unexpected bump in the road. You can't (even if you are a manipulating control freak) try and for see that bump and imagine your responses to it. I have found through experience that when faced with such trials my reactions are often not what I expected or planned for. So The best we can do is live life as full and as best as we can, not expecting to be perfect or for everything to run smoothly, but embracing everything that comes your way with a smile and a positive attitude. Bring on those bumps for a road would be boring an monotonous if it were just one straight long strip of tar.













my son (doing his impression of 'Edward" from Twilight

No comments:

Post a Comment