Why I blog...

I use this blog as a kind of therapy. Sometimes I'm happy and want to share it, sometimes it's just a random thought and sometimes it's to deal with things in my past. After all a burden shared is a burden halved

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Going to the chapel and...oh wait!

You know that old song: Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married? Well we are....sort of.


A year and two months ago I had just sold 5 houses in a row, life was good, money was flowing and my boyfriend had just proposed! And so the wedding planning started. I found a dress I really loved and so I bought it!

We knew that we didn't want a huge wedding as we would much rather spend money on our actual day to day lives than on one occasion, but however small it was going to be, it would still cost a bit of money. We started looking at venues as this seemed to be the biggest expense and chose a lovely little chapel we both felt would be perfect. We chose Rhodes memorial chapel which had recently been renovated after a fire destroyed it some years ago. We would have even had it there had they not rebuilt it, we quite liked the rustic half broken building effect, but since it had been redone, we took it as a sign.

A few months went by and we both realised we needed to move as the one bedroom house we were living in was just too small, especially when our collective 6 kids were visiting. So we embarked on a house hunting expedition. With the help of friends we moved in March this year to a bigger home that is just perfect except that it comes with a much bigger price tag. We hit a financial snag and the burden of bigger rent along with day to day bills became too much and we decided that a *wedding* was just an expense we could not afford. We could either wait another year or just go to court and get married. We chose not to wait and so we went down to the home affairs office and booked our date. A little sad that we wouldn't get to have an actual wedding celebration with friends and family but determined none the less to go ahead and make that commitment to each other. 

I mentioned to my awesome boss at school that we are just going to court as I would need the day off work and she said asked me if I was going to wear my beautiful dress to court. I don't know about you but the thought of wearing a stunning white wedding gown to Wynberg  home affairs just doesn't appeal to me. I told her I would probably just sell it. She came to me a few days later and told me that I HAVE to have a wedding and that she will plan it for me. Everything! we could use our school (where I teach) as a venue and she would love to do all the event planning! I was gobsmacked. Fast forward two months and we are having a wedding!!!!!!! I think it's actually quite quirky, a teacher getting married at school. The planning, and the countdown and all the excitement has begun. 

And on the 30th of August we will have our wedding!!!! a budget one, but one with family and friends and lots of love. Due to the constraints of the amount of people we can actually squeeze into two classrooms we have had to be brutal about the guest list but I am excited dammit.


2 comments:

  1. So beyond excited and happy for you guys! It's going to be the perfect day! ����

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!! Yay for weddings!

    ReplyDelete