Why I blog...

I use this blog as a kind of therapy. Sometimes I'm happy and want to share it, sometimes it's just a random thought and sometimes it's to deal with things in my past. After all a burden shared is a burden halved

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Hell hath no fury like.......

So this morning I decided to tidy up my huge pile of old magazines (I know being on school holiday is soooo exciting) Anything that was a year old had to go, unless of course it had articles in it written by my brilliant fiance.  Then I came across a magazine (the name of which I will not mention for fear of being charged with defamation) which I really enjoy and receive monthly. This issue was 18 months old and I wondered why I kept it so long, until I paged through it and then I remembered! It was a reminder.

I had submitted an article to the features editor of said magazine for their consideration and after waiting a month for a reply, received a polite, no thanks. At the time I thought, Oh well at least I tried. As I know I am not a great writer, but sometimes I do get great ideas.

Two months later this particular issue of said magazine came out and one of its main articles was the exact idea of mine. It was written by one of their staff writers, the words were very cleverly changed around so there was no actual plagiarism, but the idea and meaning was the same.

To say that I was miffed is and understatement, I mean how could they do that?

Could they not have used the idea I had and just edited the content profusely? with a small credit to the person who wrote the original?

I have no idea how this whole writer thing works, but I am pretty sure I am not the only one this has ever happened to.

Makes me feel a little like this:


"I am Jack's smirking revenge"
Fight Club


No comments:

Post a Comment